Monday, March 5, 2018

Day 20 of 40 Days for Life - Update

Well, faithful prayer warriors - we've reached the halfway point.  As I look forward to what God will continue to do in the next 20 days, I'm thankful for what He has done in the past 20! 
For all those who who are faithfully praying, whether you've come out to the sidewalk or are praying at home and as you drive by - whether this is your first year participating or second - I'm grateful for you and your prayers are powerful!

"This is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him."
1 John 5:14 


As I was praying for the Lord's direction on how to encourage you all at this mid-point mark - a sweet Thursday afternoon vigil participant messaged a word of encouragement that touched me. She was sharing about some neat opportunities her church family has had to reach out to two families who randomly joined them in vigil on the sidewalk at PP. Being the hospitable, kind folks that they are they extended invitations to these families to join them in worship on Sunday. Praise the Lord, a few family members of one of these families did join them this Sunday! She then wrote, "It's so awesome to see the Lord at work. Even though we know He's always working, its such a blessing when He allows us to actually see GLIMPSES!" 

Her words encouraged me so much! Honestly, I'm a sucker for results. I want to KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that our efforts are making a difference, changing hearts and saving lives. But ultimately that is not in my hands! And we can trust HE IS WORKING - whether He allows us the privilege of seeing it or not!  Psalm 34 tells us His eyes are toward us, and His ears are open to our cries and I know He is mighty and faithful to accomplish great things when we pray according to His Word and will. "For strong is He who carries out His Word." (Joel 2:11)
 As my pastors says, "we will continue to be faithful to do what God calls us to do and leave the results up to Him."  

One amazing "glimpse" is that in 20 days 196 tiny people have been saved at the last moment from abortion, because of the prayers and peaceful witness of believers outside abortion mills around the world!  Even if just 1 little boy or girl was saved, it would make it all worth it, right? But 196?! Wow. Praise God for these miracles, and let's keep these courageous pregnant mommies in our prayers for His protection, health, encouragement and provision.  


Please continue to keep a PP worker who we call M. in your prayers that she will experience a change of heart, quit her job, and find hope, healing and redemption in Him. And also please keep a very young pregnant mommy we will call A. in your prayers for safety through her pregnancy and that God will provide for her needs, particularly a safe place to stay. Our Father knows their names and their stories - so please simply pray for them as often as they come to mind! (names/details will remain confidential to protect safety and privacy - thank you for understanding) 

I've been reading the 40 Days for Life book, as I hope many of you have been able to do as well! I wanted to share a little of it - I'm a little behind, but the chapter I just read shared a story from a vigil participant in Reno, Nevada named Laura. Laura had been praying one day in Reno when a woman who had gone in for an abortion appointment drove out of the parking lot. She rolled down her window and asked Laura for her cell phone number. A few moments later she received this long text.

I just wanted to send you guys a text to let you know that what you do out there does make a difference.  When I went to that abortion clinic last week to drop off my money to terminate my pregnancy, I saw people standing out there with signs. I didn't expect to see that and part of me felt ashamed. I drove through the gates anyway and went inside, gave them my money and made an appointment for 2:30 PM today. As I was driving away I couldn't help but think that maybe there was another way. All this week I thought and prayed about it and I realized in my heart what the right thing to do was. I can't help but think that had you guys not been there that day to remind me that I had another choice, that maybe one more baby would have died today. Don't stop what you're doing. It matters. It did to me. From the blonde lady in the white SUV who came to pick up her money instead of aborting her baby today. 

Tears of joy and amazement filled my eyes when I read this, and even now as I write this blog, the screen is a little blurry!! Even though ultimately it is our loving Father God who does the work to change hearts and minds, in many cases it starts with us. This woman's change of heart started with a prick of the conscience as she drove in and saw people standing on the sidewalk with signs, and that opened the door for her to think through her decision and choose life. As she so eloquently said - don't stop doing what you are doing friends! It matters. As one of our faithful local pastors said to me recently, "It's a powerful thing what we are doing on the corner of Yew and Main!"  And I'm thankful for your involvement!

I'm reading a short book by Russel Moore entitled The Gospel and Abortion and I'd like to quote a paragraph from it. He writes,"We (the church) must get involved. Involvement isn't all you think it is. When all is said and done involvement must not shake it's fist at the darkness, but be like light in the darkness. To call abortion murder is calling it what it is, but it doesn't fix the problem. The church and its people must become a beacon of hope and light for women in difficult circumstances." (pg.41 The Gospel and Abortion)

Amen. When we stand on the corner of one of the darkest places in our community, may we be a beacon of hope and light for women in difficult circumstances. 


So, let's continue on in faith, hope and love in the next 20 days, trusting that He is working to save lives and change hearts. And let's pray for women who have experienced the tragedy of abortion personally and for men who regret paying for one- that they will find healing and hope in the measureless mercy, love and redemption of Christ. "There is no sin with more power than the gospel of Jesus Christ, not even abortion. If abortion had more power than the gospel, we would not be talking about it. If it were able to define a person, we wouldn't be talking about it, Christ's forgiveness defines us. Newness of life is made available to all who repent and seek His face." (Pg.38 The Gospel and Abortion)  

Is God calling you to take a stand for the preborn? I invite you to come join us in prayer on the sidewalk at 1020 W Main, Centralia. We have need for volunteers on Saturdays and Sundays to keep a solid 40-day prayer presence at PP from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM. (centralia40daysforlife@gmail.com/360-508-2039) You never know what God will do in and through your obedience and love in this way. Or perhaps he is calling you to another area of pro-life ministry? Can you help support the ministry of Possibilities PRC by donating baby items or volunteering? Check out their monthly needs here: http://hopehappening.com/this-month-at-possibilities/

"The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will He harbor His anger forever, he does not treat us as our sins deserve, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." 

Psalm 103:8-12 

Say hello to this week's winner of the CUTEST vigil participant award! :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment